Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Perthshire Advertiser

Firefighters uncover cannabis operation in Perth flat during building evacuation

Firefighters unwittingly uncovered a cannabis growing operation set up in a flat in the middle of Perth while evacuating a building after a fire broke out in a local kebab shop.

Manuel Quiros was found to have put up two tents in his Scott Street flat containing around 50 plants while emergency crews were making sure all residents living close to the Elrasheed D’Lite takeaway had left their properties.

A solicitor acting for Quiros told Perth Sheriff Court last week the 33-year-old later claimed he was growing the plants to feed his own £200 a month cannabis habit.

Jamie Baxter said his client was “astonished” when police officers told the amount of cannabis he was caught growing could net him anywhere between £10,000 and £30,000.

Quiros, whose most recent address was given as a property in the city’s St John Street, admitted being involved in the production of cannabis at his earlier Scott Street address on January 10 this year.

Sheriff William Wood sentenced Quiros, a first offender, to 20 months in prison for his role in the operation.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.