
The Fire know when they’re finally scheduled to play a home game at Soldier Field. Unsurprisingly, it won’t be in front of fans.
On Saturday, Major League Soccer formally announced the first phase of the rest of the 2020 season. The phase includes six games for the Fire, the first coming Thursday, Aug. 20 at Columbus. Their home opener is set for Thursday, Aug. 25 at Soldier Field against FC Cincinnati.
After operating under some uncertainty following the MLS is Back tournament, Fire coach Raphael Wicky welcomed the news of a schedule.
“It’s exciting, it’s nice,” Wicky said. “We’re all happy that we have a schedule now (and) we have a certain day to work towards.”
For at least the time being, fans won’t be allowed into the lakefront stadium.
Instead of the hoopla and hype that was planned around the Fire’s originally scheduled March 21 home opener against Atlanta, this home opener and the other two matches from this phase at Soldier Field will be played without supporters in the seats. Meanwhile, the league is allowing teams and their local jurisdictions to consider crafting plans to allow some supporters.
“With health and safety as our focus, our club has made the decision to play our next three home matches at Soldier Field without fans,” Rodríguez said. “The limited number of players, staff and workers who need to be at the stadium on those three days will be provided a safe environment as we continue to focus on their well-being.”
All six Fire matches from this phase are scheduled to kick-off at 6:30 p.m. Chicago time and will air on WGN and ESPN+. After the initial two matches, the Fire will play at New York City FC (Aug. 29) and Cincinnati (Sept. 1), before hosting New England (Sept. 6) and Columbus (Sept. 12).
MLS said it will announce the rest of the schedule by early September. The plan is for teams to have played 18 additional matches (for a total of 23) by the Nov. 20 start of the playoffs.
Teams will travel on chartered flights or buses, and most trips will be on the same day as games. Team staff and players will be tested every other day, including the day before matches. Clubs will be forming partnerships with local certified labs, and guidelines will be provided to help avoid contracting and spreading COVID-19 when not at team facilities.
So far, Wicky said the Fire have not had one positive test. The message to players is to continue being smart by wearing masks and observing social distancing, a more pressing challenge away from the MLS bubble in Florida.
“I think we’re very disciplined, but it’s very, very important that we keep doing that,” Wicky said. “Especially now, everyone’s back home and it’s summer, everyone has a life. We tell the players you’ve got to be very careful and you’ve got to follow the rules.”
Of course, a schedule and protocols don’t guarantee anything.
On Saturday, MLS commissioner Don Garber stressed that the league’s successful tournament in Florida will guide the league. But he understands this phase will have some challenges and could require flexibility.
“We made the decision to go to Orlando at a time when nobody had any sense that the bubble concept would work,” Garber said. “I think right now, we are confident in what protocols have been put into place. As I’ve said, if it doesn’t work then we don’t go forward.”
NOTE: Wicky announced that starting goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm is out for the season after suffering a torn right ACL in practice and will be undergoing surgery Tuesday. Veteran Bobby Shuttleworth is now the team’s first-choice goalie.