Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
NICK BIELBY

'Filthy that I left': Mitchell Pearce call played in Jarryd Hayne trial

ACCUSED: Jarryd Hayne leaving court earlier this week. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

A court has heard a phone call between former NRL star Jarryd Hayne and Mitchell Pearce, in which Hayne told the Knights halfback he had enlisted a lawyer for possible defamation action against the woman who had accused him of raping her.

In the call, one of a handful recorded by police and played in Newcastle District Court on Friday, Pearce was heard asking about the allegation made against his NSW Blues teammate.

Hayne told Pearce the woman was "a full-blown weirdo" and described her becoming upset on the night of the alleged incident at Fletcher.

Hayne said there was blood during the encounter and that his "fingernail must have just clipped" her.

He said the woman - who cannot be named - "was filthy that I left".

The court heard that the call from Pearce to Hayne on November 15, 2018, came after Hayne had a missed call from the NRL Integrity Unit earlier that day.

The court heard that the NRL Integrity Unit reported the matter to NSW Police.

Four days after his conversation with Pearce, Hayne was arrested and charged for allegedly twice raping the woman on the evening of the 2018 NRL Grand Final.

Hayne is facing a trial after pleading not guilty to two counts of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent recklessly inflicting actual bodily harm.

The trial continues.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.