
Former Victorian government minister John Eren will not contest the next election, making him the fifth state Labor MP to make such an announcement this week.
Premier Daniel Andrews announced on Friday that the Lara MP, who previously served in the as minister for tourism, major events, sport and veterans, would not stand in 2022.
Mr Eren was first elected to Victorian parliament as an upper house MP for Geelong in 2002 before moving to the lower house to represent Lara in 2006.
Mr Andrews said he had been an "unrelenting advocate" for Geelong by pursuing jobs, stable skills and training pathways for the community.
He kickstarted Visit Victoria and helped unlock spaces for women in sport, by working to invest in female-friendly facilities and overseeing the creation of the Office of Women and Girls in Sport Recreation Victoria.
"The best people in public life are those who live their values. John can be rightly proud of his part in our government's achievements," the premier said.
"I wish John and his family the very best for the future. I'm grateful for his friendship and support, just as I'm grateful for his contribution to the parliament, the government and his local community."
Mr Eren, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2020, said on Twitter: "Time to look forward to the next chapter. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of my journey thus far."
Richmond MP Richard Wynne, Altona MP Jill Hennessy, Ringwood MP Dustin Halse and Yan Yean MP Danielle Green have also announced this week they were not seeking re-election.