Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Ciara Phelan

Fianna Fail 'confirm' schools closure before deleting social media post

A tweet from the Fianna Fáil social media accounts has stated schools will stay shut until the end of January.

In a now deleted tweet, the post read: "An Taoiseach @MichealMartinTD has confirmed that schools will remain closed.

"To flatten the curve once again we all need to stay home unless for essential reasons."

The tweet has now been deleted. However, the same post remained on Fianna Fáil's Facebook page but was taken down soon after.

New Level 5 restrictions in full as Micheal Martin makes announcement

The apparent confirmation comes before the Cabinet were due to sign off on the matter at tomorrow's Cabinet meeting.

A Fianna Fáil spokesman told the Irish Mirror that it was a mistake.

He said that members of the Cabinet are still meeting to officially clarify the matter and "nothing is officially confirmed" yet.

However, Fianna Fáil TD and spokeswoman on Arts, Culture & Heritage Niamh Smyth also took to her Twitter account and confirmed primary and secondary schools are to remain closed until January 31.

The tweet read: "All primary & secondary schools closed until January 31st. A move to remote learning until then."Provision for special education and disability sector to be finalised."

Taoiseach Micheál Martin earlier on RTE Radio One said the proposed shut of schools until the end of January with a review on whether to reopen on January 30 was to be considered at a Cabinet with an announcement tomorrow.

However he heavily indicated this would be the case given the rapid spread of the disease in the community and to reduce the mobility of one million people.

However, it appears those running the social media platforms have accidentally confirmed schools will stay shut.

It's not the first time that this has happened, a tweet from Mr Martin's Twitter account was posted last year stating he had just spoken on the phone to President Elect Joe Biden on the phone, but he hadn't.

The tweet was sent prematurely, a spokeswoman confirmed at the time.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.