Juventus responded swiftly and predictably to talk of Manchester United prising Zinedine Zidane to Old Trafford by insisting yesterday that the Frenchman was not for sale at any price.
United officials were understood to have made preliminary enquiries about signing the world player of the year before he inspired Juventus to a 1-1 draw in the Champions League semi-final at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.
But Juventus's director general Luciano Moggi said: 'We haven't discussed anything about Zidane because he is one of the players on whom we are building the future. He is one of our key players for next season.'
That, though, is doubted by many. The Italian sports daily Corriere dello Sport yesterday cited club sources in a story that the 26-year-old will leave Juventus for Old Trafford or a Spanish club at the end of the season. Zidane, it said, is not considered essential to the tactics of Carlo Ancelotti, who replaced Marcello Lippi as coach earlier this year.
The player is certainly under pressure from his wife to leave Turin, although her preference for living in a coastal city may work in Barcelona's favour. Zidane, who joined Juventus from Bordeaux in 1996, would cost around £18 million.
Peter Reid's determination to strengthen his Sunderland squad before returning to the Premiership included a £2 million bid for Sheffield United's midfielder Curtis Woodhouse on transfer deadline day, it emerged yesterday.
United rejected the offer despite Sunderland being prepared to let Woodhouse stay at Bramall Lane until the end of this season and pay his wages while he remained there. Reid is expected to make an improved offer for the 18-year-old in the summer, but will face fierce competition.
Middlesbrough's manager Bryan Robson has criticised the teams who have made a late attempt to play in the InterToto Cup. Robson declared Boro's interest in the tournament at the start of the season, along with several other Premiership clubs, with a view to reaching the Uefa Cup via the back door.
But competition for the single English berth included Aston Villa and West Ham by yesterday's deadline. 'Because teams who thought they were going to go for the Champions League are not achieving that, now they turn round and say they want to go in the InterToto,' Robson said. 'I feel that's unfair.'
Brighton have sacked their manager Jeff Wood after only nine weeks. The Third Division club have lost nine of their past 10 games under the former Charlton goalkeeper. Martin Hinshelwood takes temporary charge.