Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Lizzie Dearden

Female recruit dies at Army Training Centre Pirbright

The cause of the recruit's death has not been announced (Getty)

An Army recruit has died while undergoing training at a centre in Surrey.

The woman, who has not been named, had been taking part in an exercise on Wednesday, a source told The Independent.

An spokesperson for the British Army said: “We can confirm that a recruit has died while undergoing initial training at the Army Training Centre (ATC) Pirbright.

"The incident is being investigated and it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time. We offer our condolences to the family and ask that you respect their privacy while they come to terms with their sudden loss.” ATC-Pirbright.jpg The woman was undergoing initial training at ATC Pirbright

Jonathan Beale, the BBC defence correspondent, reported that the recruit "collapsed while taking part in light physical exercise" and was in her early 20s.

Pirbright, around 30 miles West of London, provides Phase 1 training for Army divisions including the air corps, medical services, engineers, artillery, signals, logistics and intelligence.

The death follows several fatal incidents involving British servicemen and women outside combat.

Read more: Soldier drowned after failing swimming test
Deaths of three soldiers down to a catalogue of 'gross failures'
Royal Marine trainee dies in 30-mile March on Dartmoor

In March this year, Private Jamie Lee Sawyer, who also trained at Pirbright, died during a United Nations peacekeeping tour in Cyprus.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said he was conducting “adventure training” in the Mediterranean Sea with the Mercian Regiment Battlegroup when he was involved in a fatal canoeing accident.

Then in May, a man training with the Royal Marines Commandos died during a 30-mile march across Dartmoor.

Statistics released in response to a Freedom of Information request showed that 125 UK armed forces personnel died while undergoing training or carrying out an exercise from 2000 to 18 July this year – averaging at one every six weeks.. pg-10-MoD-brecon-2.jpg The MoD's safety record was scrutinised following the deaths of Lance Corporal Craig Roberts, Lance Corporal Edward Maher and Corporal James Dunsby

The overwhelming majority – 89 people – were in the Army, followed by 22 in the Navy and 17 in the RAF.

The MoD has come under scrutiny for its safety precautions after three reservists died during SAS selection in the Brecon Beacons in 2013.

Coroner Louise Hunt ruled L/Cpl Edward Maher, L/Cpl Craig Roberts and Cpl James Dunsby died as a result of neglect on the 16-mile march, which was held on one of the hottest days of that year.

Following an inquest that concluded in July, she found that had the MoD’s own guidance on heat illness been followed, the march would have been cancelled more than four hours before L/Cpl Roberts fell ill.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.