Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Marita Moloney

Ireland Covid latest: Dr Tony Holohan issues grim update as NPHET set to hold briefing

Concerns remain high that Ireland could face further Covid restrictions during the festive season amid a recent surge in cases.

While government ministers want to “resist” reintroducing further rules, the increase in transmission of the virus poses a threat to the recent freedoms made available to the public.

The Taoiseach, the Tanaiste and the Chief Medical Officer have all refused to rule out restrictions - but have stressed it's not what they want to do.

Members of NPHET, including Dr Tony Holohan, are set to hold a press briefing at 2pm on Wednesday.

It comes as a further 3,578 coronavirus cases were reported on Tuesday, with daily figures exceeding 3,000 for over a week.

Dr Holohan confirmed that over 44,000 cases had been reported in the past fortnight as he issued a bleak update on the situation with the virus on Tuesday.

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health. (Gareth Chaney/Collins)

He said: "The volume of disease in the community is really very high and represents a significant risk to those who are most vulnerable in our society.

“We need to continue to use all of the tools available to us to protect ourselves and others.

"By layering all of the public health measures with which we are now so familiar, we can help to break the chains of transmission.

"Ensure that you are washing your hands regularly, wearing a mask on public transport and in other social settings, try to meet others outdoors and ensure that indoor spaces are well-ventilated.

"And of course it remains essential that anyone with symptoms isolates and gets tested."

Meanwhile, Covid-19 measures such as vaccine passes for indoor hospitality could be extended beyond February 2022.

The emergency powers were due to expire on February 9 next year but may now be in place for even longer after Taoiseach Micheal Martin got approval to create a new piece of legislation.

A single law to replace the four acts that currently cover public health restrictions will give the Government the power to continue the measures if required.

It is expected to be enacted in December.

A Government spokesman said: "This is to ensure current public health measures can remain in place and the State can react to the pandemic.

“There will be an end date for the powers in this new legislation, similar to the outgoing emergency legislation.

"The Government will not look to have these additional powers for longer than necessary."

Fill in our facemask survey below, or click here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.