
The father of a man who was killed in a 2016 terrorist attack in Dhaka said he still dreams of his son coming back.
"No matter how many years have passed, I still can't help but believe that he is alive somewhere," said Komakichi Okamura, 74, from Tomisato, Chiba Prefecture.
Komakichi's son Makoto was one of 22 victims, including seven Japanese nationals, killed in the attack on the Holey Artisan Bakery cafe in the capital city of Dhaka in Bangladesh by five members of an Islamic extremist group on July 1, 2016.
In addition to the 22 victims, the five attackers also died in the incident.
Makoto, who died at the age of 32, worked for a consulting company that was contracted by the Japan International Cooperation Agency.
A Bangladeshi special antiterrorism tribunal sentenced seven male members of the militant group to death Wednesday for their involvement in the attack, while finding one man not guilty due to insufficient evidence.
On Wednesday, Komakichi put his hands together to pray in front of a Buddhist altar and informed Makoto of the rulings.
"I think the death sentences are appropriate as the attack claimed the lives of so many people," Komakichi said.
Komakichi said that even more than three years after the incident, he visits Makoto's grave every day and says, "Good morning."
Last year, Makoto's belongings were returned to his father. They include his shoes, personal computer and watch. The watch shows the Dhaka time and is still running. Some of the belongings are stained with what is believed to be dried blood or mud. Komakichi displays all of them in Makoto's room.
"I want to leave this room in the same state as when my son was using it," he murmured sadly.
Komakichi is concerned that the rulings being handed down could allow the memory of the incident fade away among people.
"There still must be people related to the incident who haven't been caught yet. I don't want the curtain to be drawn on the case," he said.
In response to the rulings, a JICA spokesperson said, "Although we are not in a position to comment, we would take the rulings positively as the incident was tried by the justice system in Bangladesh."
Since the terrorist attack, JICA has worked closely with the Foreign Ministry to ensure the safety of personnel engaging in international cooperation projects and employees of consulting companies. In addition, it has strengthened measures to protect the lodgings of business operators.
Tokyo-based Almec Corp. the consulting firm Makoto belonged to, said that it has also introduced a private service that sends it emails on incidents and disasters.
Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/