Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Top News
Top News

Fashion Extravaganza Unveiled In Apple TV+ Series Palm Royale

Apple This image released by Apple TV+ shows Joaquin Phoenix in a scene from "Napoleon." (Apple TV+ via AP)

Fashion takes center stage in Apple TV+'s upcoming period comedy series Palm Royale, set to premiere on March 20. The show, loosely based on Juliet McDaniel's book Mr. and Mrs. American Pie, features a star-studded cast including Kristen Wiig, Laura Dern, Allison Janney, Kaia Gerber, Leslie Bibb, Ricky Martin, Carol Burnett, and Bruce Dern.

Emmy-winning costume designer Alix Friedberg, known for her work on Big Little Lies, collaborated with The RealReal to curate over 600 vintage apparel and accessories pieces that capture the essence of the Palm Royale aesthetic. The collection includes items from renowned labels such as Courrèges, Givenchy, Chloé, Chanel, Christian Dior, Malcolm Starr, and Emilio Pucci, as well as contemporary brands like La DoubleJ and Zimmermann.

Friedberg shared insights into her creative process, revealing that she drew inspiration from a vast array of sources, including the archives at Western Costume and iconic 1960s society figures. The color palettes for the show were carefully selected to reflect the distinct atmospheres of Palm Beach and West Palm, with vibrant pastels and bright hues dominating the former, while earth tones and bohemian silhouettes defined the latter.

When it came to sourcing costumes, Friedberg indicated that approximately 60% of the outfits were vintage pieces, with the remaining 40% custom-made. She scoured outlets like The RealReal and Paper Bag Princess, as well as vintage stores and online platforms like Etsy, to find the perfect garments for the characters.

The meticulous attention to detail extended to the thousands of costumes featured in the series, with each character meticulously styled to reflect their personality and social status. Kristen Wiig's character, Maxine, embodies a childlike optimism in her fashion choices, while Laura Dern's character, Evelyn, exudes regal elegance in jewel tones and custom-made ensembles.

Ricky Martin's character, Robert, showcases a signature West Palm Beach style with Cuban-inspired shirts and colorful pants, highlighting the contrast between his public and private personas.

One standout piece from the series is Maxine's Beach Ball gown, featuring a removable capelet that adds a whimsical touch to her ensemble. Friedberg also praised a Bill Blass creation for its intricate design and timeless appeal.

The collaboration with The RealReal was a natural fit, given the platform's focus on vintage and luxury fashion. Friedberg expressed her enthusiasm for promoting sustainable fashion and directing fans of the show to explore the curated collection inspired by Palm Royale.

The 1960s and 1970s aesthetic showcased in Palm Royale continues to resonate with audiences, embodying a spirit of rebellion and freedom that transcends generations.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.