Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
Entertainment
Kayla Walsh

Fans discover Eoghan McDermott has new role after leaving RTE's 2FM

Eoghan McDermott is seemingly continuing to make videos for fans after his departure from 2FM.

The former RTE star has an account on popular website Cameo, where he appears to be recording messages in exchange for donations to a friend's Cystic Fibrosis charity, RSVP reports.

The videos are recorded in the style of his Love Island Australia narration and include many references to the reality TV show.

His Cameo profile reads: "Ello! I'm Eoghan, I have vocal chords which I use to narrate Love Island Australia. I wanna raise funds for my friend's Cystic Fibrosis charity so drop me a line and let's go!"

Some of his videos have received reviews and thank you messages from fans, with two posted as recently as last week.

One happy customer gave Eoghan a five star review on April 21 and added: "Amazing. Thoughtful. Fun and funny. Super-speedy turnaround. The kind of guy you’d want to invite for a pint at your local. All of the craic."

On the same day, a second reviewer said: "Incredible! Thanks so much!"

Eoghan McDermott (Gareth Chaney Collins)

Eoghan, 38, who used to present a breakfast show on 2FM with Doireann Garrihy, suddenly departed the station in February.

No explanation was given at the time but fans noticed his name and picture were removed from the 2FM website and the name of the show changed to simply ‘2FM Breakfast’.

Eventually RTE issued a statement confirming that Eoghan would not be coming back to the station.

"RTÉ confirms that Eoghan McDermott will not be returning to RTÉ 2FM," the statement read.

"His contract is due to expire shortly. RTÉ is developing a new direction for the 2FM Breakfast Show which will be revealed in the coming weeks. Doireann Garrihy will remain with the show."

Early last year, there were rumours that Eoghan was leaving Irish radio to move to Australia.

In summer 2020, he told us they were rubbish, confirming to RSVP that he had signed a new contract with RTE.

He told us: "I have no idea where that came from, I just read it in the papers. I never said anything about it, I ignored it completely because once you talk about it then it becomes a second cycle of the story.

"I have signed [a new contract] and am happy out. That’s that."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.