Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
Abigail Nicholson & Kris Gourlay

Family of young mum who collapsed in Turkey Airport given devastating update

The family of a young mum who collapsed while on holiday in Turkey have been given a devastating update after she returned home.

Melissa Kinsella, from Moreton, Merseyside, collapsed at an airport on Turkey while on holiday with partner Jay Smith, his family and their three children Chloe, Beau and Romi.

The 30-year-old was due to fly home on Monday, May 15, but instead was rushed to hospital after suffering a seizure. Doctors told Jay and his family that Melissa had swelling on her brain and heart, reports the Liverpool Echo.

READ MORE: Edinburgh Bad Boy Chiller Crew gig 'chaos' as police attend 'large scale disturbance'

With Melissa unable to breathe for herself, she was taken into intensive care in a coma. A fundraising campaign to support Melissa's family during the traumatic ordeal was started as she did not have travel insurance.

Thanks to generous donations, the mum-of-three was flown home by air ambulance on Wednesday, May 24, but the news that the family received a day later rocked their world.

Melissa's mum Michelle posted an update to say her daughter had been declared clinically dead.

She said: "Our hearts are broken forever after 12 days of fighting for our beautiful daughter's life test proves she is clinically dead. We have no words to express how we feel but thank everyone who helped us in any way to bring her home."

Melissa in hospital. (SWNS/Rebecca Dath)

The family had been optimistic earlier in the week after Melissa showed positive signs of some recovery. The 30-year-old's mum said: "So a little positive news this morning, when her pop's spoke she moved again and a tear rolled down her eye.

"Doctors said there is more brain activity today and just needs to bring herself out of a coma. Still critical but definitely positive today. She definitely can hear us."

The fundraiser for Melissa has surpassed £50,000 after her friend Rebecca Dath set it up when she was first admitted to hospital. Rebecca said Melissa had complained on social media the day before she collapsed that she thought she may be suffering from heatstroke.

She told the ECHO: "She was vomiting, felt unwell and that was the day before. When she got to the airport, she had a seizure and collapsed. That's been it since, she has been in intensive care on life support in Turkey."

Rebecca added: "Doctors don't know what has caused it, but she has swelling on the brain and swelling on her heart.

"Missy's mum and dad were holidaying in Turkey in another area with Missy's auntie and uncles and cousins. Jay rang her auntie because her heart stopped and her children were there."


Edinburgh's Wes Anderson-style bar with epic Bloody Mary and brunch menu

Edinburgh hotel apologises to guest as workman 'strips off and jumps into pool'

New village planned near Edinburgh with 400 homes, shops and a health centre

Harry Styles spotted golfing in St Andrew's ahead of Edinburgh Murrayfield shows

Show timings for Harry Styles at Edinburgh BT Murrayfield plus support act

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.