Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bristol Post
Bristol Post
National
Hannah Baker

Factory coronavirus outbreak: More cases confirmed as Bristol plant closed

A manufacturing plant in Avonmouth which was closed over the weekend after an outbreak of Covid-19 has confirmed a rise in the number of staff infected with the virus.

The site is owned by construction giant Balfour Beatty, which is making nuclear-grade concrete segments for huge tunnels being built under the Bristol Channel as part of Hinkley Point C.

Yesterday (July 27), the company said 19 of its 90 staff had tested positive for coronavirus and the site would be shut “until further notice”.

Balfour has confirmed today (Tuesday, July 28) 28 employees working at the facility have now tested positive.

The company said it is using the NHS’ Test and Trace app, which has so far shown no impact on Hinkley Point C’s main site.

It also said it had also carried out a “deep clean” of the facility at the weekend and was engaging with Public Health England and Bristol City Council over the outbreak.

The company said in a statement: “We have now taken the responsible decision to close the facility until further notice to reduce the potential further spread of Covid-19.”

It added: “We continue to engage with all those affected and remain committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of all those who work with and for us, as well as the general public.”

Balfour's sites have remained open and operational during the pandemic in line with UK government guidelines.

The company said health and safety measures had been put in place including enhanced hygiene and cleaning; daily briefings on Covid-19 practices including the controls around two-metre working; and temperature checks for all individuals on arrival at sites.

According to Balfour, it also put in place changes to working practices and site arrangements, including within all shared facilities, to maintain social distancing on site.

It is not clear yet when the Avonmouth supply site might reopen or what impact the closure could have on the work taking place there in the longer term.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.