Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bristol Post
Bristol Post
National
Hannah Baker

Factory coronavirus outbreak: Bristol cases rise again as more workers test positive

More workers at a factory in Avonmouth have tested positive for coronavirus after an outbreak over the weekend.

The cement manufacturing facility, which supplies Hinkley Point C power plant in Somerset, is owned by construction giant Balfour Beatty.

On Sunday (July 26) the company said 19 its 90 staff had tested positive for the virus - and by Tuesday the number had risen to 28 employees.

Today, (July 29) Balfour has confirmed 36 workers have now contracted Covid-19.

The company, which has shut the site until further notice, said it is using the NHS’ Test and Trace app, which has so far shown no impact on Hinkley Point C’s main site.

It said it also carried out a “deep clean” of the facility at the weekend and was engaging with Public Health England and Bristol City Council over the outbreak.

The company said in a statement: “We have now taken the responsible decision to close the facility until further notice to reduce the potential further spread of Covid-19.”

It added: “We continue to engage with all those affected and remain committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of all those who work with and for us, as well as the general public.”

Balfour's sites have remained open and operational during the pandemic in line with UK government guidelines.

The company said health and safety measures had been put in place including enhanced hygiene and cleaning; daily briefings on Covid-19 practices including the controls around two-metre working; and temperature checks for all individuals on arrival at sites.

It is not yet clear when the Avonmouth supply site might reopen or what impact the closure could have on the work taking place there in the longer term.

The news comes as another six people living in the South West have tested positive, latest Government figures have revealed.

Four positive tests were for people living in Bristol, while South Gloucestershire and North Somerset have each recorded one new case.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.