Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Facebook confirms Zuckerberg interviewed in FTC investigation

FILE PHOTO: Facebook Chairman and CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies at a House Financial Services Committee hearing in Washington, U.S., October 23, 2019. REUTERS/Erin Scott

Facebook <FB.O> confirmed on Thursday that chief executive Mark Zuckerberg was interviewed earlier this week at a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigative hearing as part of the government's antitrust probe into the social media company.

"We are committed to cooperating with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's inquiry and answering the questions the agency may have," the social media company said in a statement.

The FTC declined to comment.

Politico reported the interview earlier on Thursday.

The FTC told Facebook in June 2019 it was probing whether the company has engaged in unlawful monopolistic practices.

Facebook faces similar probes by the Justice Department and by state attorneys general and has said the investigations are looking at prior acquisitions and business practices involving "social networking or social media services, digital advertising, and/or mobile or online applications."

Politico said Zuckerberg's testimony was conducted under oath over two days this week remotely. Staff from states investigating Facebook were also involved, Politico reported.

In July 2019, Facebook agreed to pay a record-breaking $5 billion fine to resolve a separate FTC probe into the company's privacy practices.

The FTC probe that resulted in the $5 billion settlement uncovered a wide range of privacy issues.

The FTC came under criticism in the privacy probe for not requiring Zuckerberg to answer questions under oath. FTC Chairman Joe Simons said in 2019 it was unnecessary to depose Zuckerberg.

Also in July 2019, the U.S. Justice Department said it was opening a broad investigation of major digital technology firms into whether they engage in anticompetitive practices.

Last week, Deputy Attorney General Jeff Rosen told Reuters the tech investigation was going "full tilt." He declined to specify when the government would decide whether to bring an antitrust action against Alphabet Inc's <GOOGL.O> Google.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; editing by Richard Pullin)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.