Four-time F1 world champion Alain Prost reportedly sustained a head injury during an alleged robbery in his Swiss home earlier this week.
According to a report in Swiss tabloid Blick late on Friday, the 71-year-old Prost suffered a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the robbery on Tuesday morning.
Swiss police are now investigating the incident.
“The perpetrators entered the residence while the occupants were present, threatened them, and forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with the stolen goods,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
“Despite the extensive search operation launched, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended at this stage.”
The police did not name the victim but said that several balaclava-earing intruders broke into the house.
“Once inside, they threatened the occupants and inflicted minor head injuries upon one family member, under circumstances that remain to be established,” added the police.
“The perpetrators then forced another family member to open a safe before making their escape with stolen items, a precise inventory of which is currently being compiled.”
According to the Blick reports, Prost was “visibly shaken by this brutal intrusion” and has since left the home, which is in Nyon, beside Lake Geneva.
Prost is a Formula One icon and racked up four Drivers’ World Championships between 1985 and 1993, racing for Williams, McLaren and Ferrari during his illustrious career.
He had a fierce and legendary rivalry with the late Ayrton Senna, which culminated in title-deciding collisions at Suzuka in 1989 and 1990, even thought the pair was McLaren teammates at the time of the former.
The Frenchman, nicknamed “the Professor” held the records for most podiums (106), most wins (51) and fastest laps (41) in F1 at the time of his retirement, although those numbers have since been surpassed.
Additional reporting from Associated Press