Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Tom Barnes

Explosion at Salisbury military factory leaves one dead

The blast took place at the factory of Chemring Countermeasures in Salisbury on Friday evening ( Google )

One person has died and another has been seriously injured following an explosion at a military factory in Salisbury.

Emergency services were called to the plant of defence firm Chemring Countermeasures in High Post, close to Porton Down, just after 5pm on Friday.

Wiltshire Police said one person had been killed in the blast, while a second person had been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

“The incident has been contained and there is no risk to the people in the local area,” a spokesperson for the force added.

“Wiltshire Police and the Health and Safety Executive will now be leading the investigation in to the cause of the incident.”

Authorities said no one else had been injured in the incident.

Six fire crews from various Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service stations were called to the factory to tackle an initial fire, which has since been extinguished.

The victim’s next of kin have been informed.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.