Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Dan Benton

Ex-Giant Janoris Jenkins admits he ‘did wrong,’ vows to learn from mistake

The New York Giants waived veteran cornerback Janoris Jenkins on Friday after his third apology for using a disparaging word during an argument with a fan on Twitter earlier in the week fell flat.

“This was an organizational decision,” head coach Pat Shurmur said. “From ownership to management to our football operations, we felt it was in the best interests of the franchise and the player. Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor.”

Jenkins had previously tweeted out an apology, issued a second apology the following day, but then dug in on his statement after the local beat reporters continued to pepper him with questions.

Upon his release, Jenkins first expressed some relief, but later thanked the Giants organization and wishing his teammates well.

After his release had settled in, Jenkins appeared on TMZ Sports and again apologized for his comments, again admitted he was wrong and said he would learn from the situation.

“It’s always a learning moment, man. Everybody’s going to learn from different situations … move forward and learn,” Jenkins said. “You just admit to it. Admit that you did wrong, which I did.”

Jenkins says he plans to meet with parents of special needs children in an effort to continue educating himself about the community. He also vowed to “give back” to make amends for his mistake.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.