Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Andy Hunter Oakwell

Everton to reject transfer request from Chelsea target John Stones

John Stones applauds the Everton fans following their extra-time victory over Barnsley in the Capital One Cup.
John Stones applauds the Everton fans following their extra-time victory over Barnsley in the Capital One Cup. Photograph: Lee Smith/Reuters

Roberto Martínez said Everton would reject John Stones’ transfer request on Thursday as he told Chelsea that “money can’t buy everything”.

Stones started Everton’s dramatic 5-3 win at Barnsley in the second round of the Capital One Cup on Wednesday despite submitting a transfer request to Martínez on the eve of the tie. The England international produced a below-par display as the League One side raced into a two-goal lead before succumbing to a fine, Gerard Deulofeu-inspired fightback from the Premier League club.

Martínez denied the 21-year-old had been distracted by Chelsea’s ongoing pursuit, with the champions having had three offers rejected so far and expected to return with a bid totalling £40m before Tuesday’s transfer deadline. And the Everton manager gave José Mourinho no encouragement in his pursuit of a player earmarked as John Terry’s long-term replacement at Stamford Bridge.

“We have not rejected it yet because today was a match day and that was our priority,” said Martínez on the transfer request. “We will reject it in the morning and get on with our business.”

Asked whether Stones’ reluctant decision to seek a move in the face of Everton intransigence had come as a surprise, he added: “I am not surprised by the request because he is a young man who is under massive pressure from people and outside influences. What we need to do is give more value to contracts. We need to bring more seriousness to being part of a football club and to making sure that contracts are important.”

Stones has four years remaining on his contract at Goodison Park and Martínez reiterated his long-held position that the former Barnsley defender will not leave Merseyside this summer.

He said: “For a young man under massive pressure he was terrific. I am repeating myself but it is wrong for the football authorities to allow the window to remain open when there are important games taking place. When there is an opportunity to go to Wembley and to win silverware that should be respected and we shouldn’t put our players under this massive pressure.

“The situation with John is very clear. We care about him, we want to protect him and give him everything we can to allow him to enjoy his football during this tough period. We’ve got great ambition for John and it has clearly got to the point now where, in football as in life, money can’t buy everything. That’s going to be a very strong statement at Everton. We want to build a winning team and so we want to keep our best performers. John is a big part of our future.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.