Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Everton's Gomes expected to make full recovery

Soccer Football - Premier League - Everton v Tottenham Hotspur - Goodison Park, Liverpool, Britain - November 3, 2019 Everton's Andre Gomes is stretchered off after sustaining an injury Action Images via Reuters/Carl Recine

(Reuters) - Everton midfielder Andre Gomes is expected to make a full recovery after undergoing successful ankle surgery on Monday, the Premier League club said.

The Portugal international sustained the right ankle injury in the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park on Sunday after landing off balance at speed following a tackle from Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min.

"Andre Gomes underwent surgery to repair a fracture dislocation to his right ankle earlier today and the procedure went extremely well," Everton said on their website (www.evertonfc.com).

Soccer Football - Premier League - Everton v Tottenham Hotspur - Goodison Park, Liverpool, Britain - November 3, 2019 Everton's Andre Gomes is fouled by Tottenham Hotspur's Son Heung-min REUTERS/Andrew Yates

"The 26-year-old is expected to make a full recovery."

Everton gave no time frame but said Gomes would recover in hospital before starting rehabilitation under the guidance of the club’s medical staff.

Everton manager Marco Silva had said earlier that the club would give Gomes and his family all the support they needed.

"He is seriously injured but I am 100% sure Andre will become stronger as a football player and as a man because he is a fantastic lad, a fantastic professional," he added.

Son was shown a red card for his part in the incident and was in tears in the dressing room afterwards.

On Monday, the 27-year-old was called up to the South Korea squad for two matches later this month and national team coach Paulo Bento said his international team mates would rally around him.

"What happened in that match is really unfortunate," Bento told Yonhap News Agency. "It doesn't matter which country a player is from. You never want to see anyone get hurt that seriously, but it's also part of the game.

"Heung-min has to pick things up and move forward, and we'll try to help him the best we can."

South Korea play Lebanon in a World Cup qualifier on Nov. 14 before facing Brazil in a friendly five days later in Abu Dhabi.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru/Alan Baldwin; Editing by Peter Rutherford and Pritha Sarkar)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.