Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Sport
Graham Ruthven

Everton morning headlines as Blues make Bernard transfer stance clear

Here are your Everton morning headlines for Tuesday, 6 October.

The key decisions Everton will face in future transfer windows

It was a busy summer transfer window for Everton, with the Blues adding significantly to their squad through the signings of James Rodriguez, Allan, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Ben Godfrey and Robin Olsen on deadline day.

But the decisions facing the Goodison Park club in future transfer windows are already starting to come into sight.

Feargal Brennan runs through some of those decisions which revolve around the future of players out of contract next summer, with Yannick Bolasie and Theo Walcott among those set to be released in 2021.

On top of this, Everton have a number of players who are out of contract in 2022.

In fact, 10 members of Carlo Ancelotti’s squad are set to be out of contract then and so this could shape a number of Everton’s future transfer decisions.

Former Everton goalkeeper on Robin Olsen signing and Jordan Pickford form

Tim Howard has spoken about Everton’s deadline day signing of Swedish goalkeeper Robin Olsen, and also expressed his view on the poor form of Jordan Pickford.

The former Blues No.1 gave his opinion on whether Olsen has been signed to replace Pickford following a number of high-profile blunders by the 26-year-old, highlighting what he must do to recover and find top form again.

“Every good goalkeeper needs competition,” Howard told Sky Sports News . “There's been some rumours that they [Everton] are on the lookout for another goalkeeper in the window, but competition is good.

“Jordan is also a top goalkeeper. There have been a few wobbles in his game recently but no-one is exempt, at the highest level, from having a mistake or two.

“Jordan just needs to get back to basics and put a ten-game run together where there are no errors. But that happens at the highest level. Sure I think bringing in another goalkeeper always helps to create competition and urgency.”

Everton stance on Bernard after deadline day interest from Serie A

Everton informed Bernard he is still considered a valuable member of the club’s first-team squad after an enquiry was made by Roma about the Brazilian on transfer deadline day.

The Goodison Park club fielded an enquiry from the Serie A side for Bernard, with Roma manager Paulo Fonseca a known figure to the winger having previously worked with him at Shakhtar Donetsk.

A deal could have been worth around £7million, but the 7pm Italian transfer window deadline passed without an agreement reached after Bernard was told he was still needed by Everton.

Bernard is in the final two years of his four contract with the Blues and has stayed with the Merseyside club despite the late interest registered in him.

 
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.