Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Everton midfielder Barkley out for a month after surgery

Britain Football Soccer - Everton v Watford - Premier League - Goodison Park - 12/5/17 Everton's Ross Barkley applauds fans after the match Reuters / Andrew Yates Livepic

LONDON (Reuters) - Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has had groin surgery and will be out for four weeks, the Premier League club said on Wednesday.

Barkley, who did not travel with Everton's squad to a pre-season training game in the Netherlands and also missed a trip to Tanzania earlier this month because of the injury, is now a doubt for the start of the new season.

Everton begin their Premier League campaign at home to Stoke City on Aug. 12.

"Ross Barkley underwent surgery today on his groin," Everton said in a statement on their website. "The surgery has been a success and he is expected to be able to return to play in approximately four weeks."

Barkley, 23, has yet to sign a new contract with Everton and has been linked by British media with a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

(Reporting by Toby Davis; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.