Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Sport
Sam Carroll

Everton boss admits midfielder needs 'rebuilding' after summer transfer disappointment

David Unsworth admits Everton are having to 'rebuild' midfielder Beni Baningime following a frustrating 18-month period for the 21-year-old.

A summer switch to Denmark, with Brondby and Silkeborg both said to be interested, fell through after talks stalled and Baningime has started the season with Unsworth's under-23 side.

The Congo-born starlet joined Wigan Athletic on loan in January but made just one appearance before returning to Merseyside and has not featured for Everton's senior side since the draw at Swansea in 2018 when Sam Allardyce was manager.

But Unsworth, who handed Baningime his first-team debut while caretaker boss, believes the player is heading in the right direction.

A full analysis of Beni Baningime's performance for Everton against Blackburn Rovers HERE

"I think he's getting back to the levels he was at," the 45-year-old told the ECHO after watching Everton overcome Blackburn Rovers 2-1 in the Premier League 2 on Monday evening. "I don't think he's at the level just yet, it's a work in progress.

"He had a disappointing season last year which happens sometimes. We have to rebuild him and we're certainly rebuilding him.

"The good thing about Beni is the foundations are solid and he's a great kid. He just needs game-time. He didn't have a lot of that last year for whatever reason but that's gone now."

Unsworth detailed a private conversation held with Baningime in a bid to boost his morale, adding: "We've had a really good chat, myself and him, and he knows he is very much loved by myself.

Michael Keane eyes Everton captaincy - LIVE transfer news HERE

"He's showing in his performances that he needs games, he's a young player, he needs confidence and he's certainly getting that from us.

"He'll get that in abundance and he's slowly getting back to the levels that he was before he left to go on loan last year."

Lewis Gibson and Morgan Feeney were removed through injury during the second-half against Blackburn but Unsworth says both should be available for the trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Friday.

"Lewis is ill. He did brilliant to go back on in the second-half," the boss added. "He wanted to give it a go after being sick at half-time. He made that decision which I respect. Morgan tweaked his knee but is fine."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.