Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Fionnula Hainey

Eurovision organisers provide update on 2021 contest

Organisers of the Eurovision Song Contest have released an update on the 2021 event.

Fans had been concerned that the contest may be cancelled again - but organisers say they are making plans to go ahead with the annual competition.

This year's Eurovision Song Contest is scheduled for May and will take place in Rotterdam.

However, it won't be in its usual format due to Covid measures.

Producers of the show, the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), said they are looking to include in-person performances and a socially distanced audience.

Last year's edition of Eurovision was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, with the 41 acts scheduled to compete instead featuring in a non-competitive virtual show.

The grand final of this year's contest is set to take place on May 22.

The EBU said they have created four possible scenarios, ranging from the usual format to an entirely remote one.

They are now focusing on “scenario B” in which everyone attending Rotterdam’s Ahoy Arena would need to practise social distancing and submit to measures including frequent Covid-19 testing.

Acts who can travel to Rotterdam will perform live on stage, while those unable to will feature in recorded performances.

Another option, "scenario C" would see hosts present the show from Rotterdam but the delegations and artists would submit recorded performances.

"Scenario D" would go ahead in the event of a national lockdown - and would be entirely remote.

Organisers described their options as “a determined yet realistic approach in the final phase of preparations”.

A further decision on the fate of the contest will be taken in the coming weeks, they said.

Michael Rice of Great Britain performs the song "Bigger Than Us" during the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest in Tel Aviv, Israel (AP)

The contest’s executive supervisor Martin Osterdahl said: “The Eurovision Song Contest will definitely make its welcome return this May despite the pandemic but, in the prevailing circumstances, it is regrettably impossible to hold the event in the way we are used to.

“The security, health and safety of all participants at the Eurovision Song Contest, from the crew to the artists, is our top priority.

“We are following international developments closely and continuing to explore and plan for three revised scenarios (B, C and D) first announced last autumn.

“We’re grateful for the renewed commitment and backing from the City of Rotterdam and the ongoing support of all the participating broadcasters.

“We very much hope to be able to gather in Rotterdam in May and will do all we can in the coming weeks to achieve this.

Representing the Netherlands, Duncan Laurence took home the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest trophy. (AP)

“With an ever-changing situation we are taking our time to ensure that we can host the Eurovision Song Contest in the best and safest way possible.”

The United Kingdom has yet to announce who will be competing in 2021 but James Newman, last year’s pick, has said he hopes to have a second chance.

At the 2019 contest the UK came in last place with Michael Rice’s Bigger Than Us, while the Netherlands came top with Duncan Laurence’s Arcade.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.