
The Secretary-General of the Palestine Liberation Organization's (PLO) executive committee, Saeb Erekat, said he had been informed by China and Russia that they would skip the next month’s workshop in Bahrain end of this month.
Erekat noted in meetings with foreign delegations and through the social media websites that the leadership held talks with more than 20 states and international authorities. He was briefed by China's ambassador to Palestine who informed him and other Palestinian officials about the boycott.
Earlier, member of the PLO Executive Committee Ahmed Majdalani arrived in South Africa, carrying with him political messages.
Palestinian Deputy Prime Minister and Information Minister Nabil Abu Rudeina handed a letter from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the developments in the Palestinian cause and the steps to be taken by the leadership to face the Deal of the Century.
Abu Rudeina added that any partial solutions wouldn’t bring peace and security because the Palestinian cause was originally political. This message was conveyed by Erekat to ambassadors and consuls, asking them not to respond to any invitations to participate in Manama.
The “Peace to Prosperity” economic workshop, to be held on June 25 and 26 in Bahrain, was announced last week by senior White House officials, who said that the Trump administration is planning to release the economic component of its upcoming Middle East peace plan during that workshop.