Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Ted Hennessey

US legislators hit out at Andrew after Epstein probe request: ‘He continues to hide’

US legislators have hit out at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor for his "silence" amid their probe into Jeffrey Epstein.

Members of the House Oversight Committee had sought a "transcribed interview" with the royal, citing his "long-standing friendship" with the paedophile financier.

Epstein took his own life in a New York prison in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking and conspiracy charges.

After stating they had received no communication, Democrats Robert Garcia and Suhas Subramanyam accused Andrew of hiding.

Their statement read: “Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s silence in the face of the Oversight Democrat’s demand for testimony speaks volumes.

“The documents we’ve reviewed, along with public records and Virginia Roberts Giuffre’s testimony, raise serious questions he must answer, yet he continues to hide.

“Our work will move forward with or without him, and we will hold anyone who was involved in these crimes accountable, no matter their wealth, status, or political party. We will get justice for the survivors.”

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor denies any wrongdoing (Jordan Pettitt/PA) (PA Wire)

It comes as The Sun reported that Andrew’s ex-wife Sarah Ferguson is considering offers for a television interview, with US channels reportedly said to be willing to pay six-figure sums.

Andrew, who was stripped of his prince and Duke of York titles earlier this month, denies any wrongdoing.

He had previously agreed to stop using his titles but had expected to remain a prince and retain his dukedom, ahead of the publication of the memoirs of the late Ms Giuffre, who had accused him of sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager. He denies the accusation.

Damaging allegations also include that he had tried to get the Metropolitan Police to dig up dirt for a smear campaign against Ms Giuffre.

The force previously said it was looking into the reports after The Mail On Sunday newspaper claimed he had passed Ms Giuffre’s date of birth and social security number to his taxpayer-funded bodyguard in 2011 and asked him to investigate.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.