
City of Newcastle will make a final call by lunchtime today about whether to go ahead with its New Year's Eve fireworks over the harbour, though a council spokesman said on Monday afternoon the plan remained to continue with "our largest ever show".
The council said it was taking "a risk-based approach" to a decision about the 9pm fireworks, ahead of a forecast 36 degree day in the city and 42 expected in the valley.
It came as Maitland City Council announced on Monday it had cancelled its pyrotechnics display because of an "unacceptable level of risk". Fireworks have also been shelved at Paterson and Caves Beach.
A Total Fire Ban has been declared for Tuesday across the Hunter, though exemptions can be made for councils to conduct fireworks in line with advice from the state's fire authorities.
Storms scuppered last year's fireworks in Maitland and Newcastle and, earlier this month, Cessnock and Lake Macquarie excluded fireworks from their 2019 carols events.
A strong south-westerly wind contributed to last year's cancellation because it blew fireworks towards suburban Stockton.
Another south-westerly is predicted for Tuesday, but the council will monitor conditions and make a final decision by lunchtime.
Although there won't be any fireworks at Maitland, the festivities will continue in the Riverside Carpark in the city centre from 5pm to 8.30pm and will include live music, face painting and other entertainment.
In Newcastle, acclaimed band You Am I will headline the concert on the foreshore.
The precinct is set to be transformed into a "butterfly wonderland" between 5pm and 9.30pm, the council spokesman said, with "colour and light throughout the family-friendly precinct, including interactive craft activities, art installations, a seven-metre butterfly dome and illuminated fibre optic trees sure to capture the imagination".
Fireworks remain on the cards at Wangi Wangi RSL Club at 9pm and the Port Stephens celebrations at D'Albora Marinas, Nelson Bay, kick off at 10.30am, culminating in a pyrotechnics show at 9pm.
Extra police will be out in force across the region particularly patrolling community events and licensed premises.
"We know it's going to be very hot and humid," Newcastle police Superintendent Brett Greentree said. "Alcohol-related crime, anti-social behaviour - we won't be standing for that."