The Emperor and Empress met virtually on Thursday with residents of Rikuzentakata and Kamaishi in Iwate Prefecture who survived the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami, ahead of the 10th anniversary of the disaster.
The meeting was conducted online due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, with the Imperial couple participating from the Akasaka Imperial Residence in Tokyo.
The Emperor has visited Iwate Prefecture four times since the 2011 disaster and the Empress has visited three times.
After being briefed by Iwate Gov. Takuya Tasso about the state of reconstruction efforts, they spoke with six survivors at Rikuzentakata and Kamaishi city halls.
Mikiko Asanuma, 57, of Rikuzentakata, whose eldest son died in the tsunami, told the Imperial couple that she has planted dogwood trees along evacuation routes and published a picture book about the disaster to pass on lessons in the hope of preventing another tragedy.
"I'm truly sorry for the loss of your son," the Emperor said, expressing his sympathy. The Empress said: "Taking action for the sake of future generations shows great strength. I definitely want to read your book."
"It makes me happy that [the Emperor and Empress] took notice of what I was saying," she told reporters after the online talk.
Akiko Iwasaki, 64, of Kamaishi, who rebuilt an inn that was destroyed in the tsunami, told the Imperial couple that she had been involved in the bid to host the Rugby World Cup in 2019.
"The World Cup was great. I sincerely wish for the development of the town," the Emperor told her.
The Emperor and Empress will also meet online with survivors in Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures in the near future.
This is the second time that the Imperial couple has met virtually with victims of natural disasters.
Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/