Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Daniel Smith

Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat phoned in

Paris police briefly evacuated the Eiffel Tower and blockaded the surrounding area after a bomb threat was phoned in.

All tourists inside the monument were evacuated after an anonymous caller phoned police on Wednesday morning and said a bomb had been placed inside the tower, according to an official with the tower’s management company.

Police cars and tape had surrounded the streets below the tower and the bridge stretching across the Seine River to Trocadero Plaza.

An officer at the scene said police found no signs of the threatened bomb.

Some tourists were still walking in the area during the police operation, including a group speaking Russian and carrying a bottle of Champagne.

The 131-year-old tower usually gets about 25,000 tourists daily but visits are down this year because of coronavirus travel restrictions.

While the Eiffel Tower is scheduled to be open every day, it occasionally closes because of suicide threats, bomb threats or labour strikes.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.