Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
National
Alan McEwan & Claire Galloway

Edinburgh police catch man driving while disqualified for the 25th time

An Edinburgh man has been put behind bars after being caught driving while disqualified over twenty times.

The 40-year-old appeared at by officers on Wednesday via prison video link where he admitted driving without a licence and insurance.

The law-breaker, from the Niddrie area, was already banned from getting behind the wheel until the year 2033 when he was stopped Police carried in the capital, reports the Daily Record.

He was jailed for nine months after being convicted of driving while disqualified for the 25th time.

Fiscal depute Sarah Noon told the court that the driver was pulled over in a Nissan Almera by officers on mobile patrol in Niddrie House Avenue at around 10.20am on September 16 last year.

Police carried out computer checks which revealed his driving history, she explained.

Defence agent Eddie Wilson confirmed to the court that his client had 24 previous convictions for driving while disqualified.

To receive one WhatsApp message a day with Edinburgh Live's headlines, as well as breaking news alerts, text NEWS to 07899067815. Then add the number to your contacts as 'Edinburgh Live'.

Mr Wilson said his client claimed that he was responding to an “SOS from his girlfriend” over a health matter but added: “Clearly this is no excuse.”

Sheriff Kenneth Campbell QC said the driver's record was “extremely concerning”.

As well as nine months behind bars, he also disqualified him from driving for eight years.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.