Edinburgh mum rushes 2-year-old to hospital after finding 'crack' at play park

By Sian Traynor

An Edinburgh mum has warned her daughter could have died after she found what looked like a bag of class A drugs in a local play park.

Kimberley Kinghorn was forced to rush her two-year-old toddler Kehlani to the hospital on Tuesday (September 7) after she quickly picked up the wrap and had gone to put in in her mouth.

Furious at the carelessness of others, Kimberley and her mum were left terrified at how easily Kehlani could have become seriously ill in what should be a safe space for children.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, the 27-year-old explained that the family had headed down to the park on Broomhouse Crescent after a kids class at the community centre next door.

Sitting outside while they ate lunch, Kimberley noticed her daughter pick up a small item which didn't appear to be her food and quickly sprung into action.

She said: "As my mother and I sat on the benches within the park as normal my daughter started to toddle around us while eating her bar she was dropping pieces off her food and attempting to then pick it back up again.

"I was keeping a close eye on what she was picking up my mother and I began to chat as my daughter then walked round the back of us and a few seconds later then was suspiciously quiet that's when I turned round to see her crouched over attempting to retrieve something off the ground that didn't appear to be part off what she was eating.

"Within seconds she picked it up and just as she went to place it into her mouth I quickly swiped it off her. At first I wasn't concerned, the park is usually kept clean and we visit almost every day because it is a new and usually well maintained park for toddler age, and the item just looked like a bit off tissue scrunched up or something but as I rolled it on my palm I could then clearly see that it was a cigarette paper wrapped around something then twisted tightly at the top to contain something in side, I knew from common knowledge that this looked like a wrap off drugs."

After inspecting the bag while her mum looked after Kehlani, Kimberley quickly found telltale crystals of what looked like the class A substance inside.

The family then explained that they alerted the centre to the suspected drug use in the park, before giving staff the bag and rushing up to the Edinburgh Sick Kids at Little France.

Thankfully, a thorough examination from medics at A&E had determined Kehlani had not ingested the substance, however Kimberley has been left terrified and furious from the incident.

She added: "I was so worried about my daughter i was fuelled by panic and worry , I was also so angry to think what the fatal outcome could have been had I not caught her in time, meanwhile the person who put her in harms way would be walking with out a care.

"Having to see my little girl wired up on all sorts of machines to test she was okay after the incident was something I will never forget."


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.