Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Tom Malley

Eddie Howe makes Newcastle pledge after edging closer to survival

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe has pledged that his side’s preparations and expectations will not drop between now and the end of the season despite all but securing their Premier League survival in midweek after hitting the 40-point mark.

The Magpies recorded a third successive victory with a 1-0 defeat of Crystal Palace at St. James’ Park on Wednesday, opening up a huge 15-point gap between themselves and the relegation zone. However, that was cut to 12 points after Burnley defeated Southampton on Thursday.

Nonetheless, the Magpies are all but safe, yet Howe has declared that his side will not let their standards drop after such a remarkable effort to turn things around.

Next up for Howe’s men is an away trip to basement side Norwich City, and despite the lowly position and quality of Saturday’s opponents he expects the same performance levels from his side, as he revealed in Friday’s pre-match press conference.

He said: “We have a way of playing that has delivered consistent performances. We don't want to let those standards drop and let that feeling go. Not for one second will our preparation drop and our expectations of the players won't drop."

Howe’s verdict represents the changed mentality of the club over the course of the season and is a breath of fresh air for Magpies supporters, but the Tyneside outfit are keen to pick up as many points as possible in order to see where it may take them.

Eddie Howe is determined not to let Newcastle's performance levels drop for the rest of the season (Newcastle United via Getty Image)

Where will Newcastle finish this season? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Newcastle may not be completely mathematically secure from the drop zone, but they are only outside the top half on goal difference and are more than capable of finishing inside the top 10 by the end of the campaign.

That represents the next challenge for Howe’s men, where a top half finish would really cap off their turnaround in fortunes, especially after failing to win any of their first 14 league games.

Tricky away trips to relegation battling Norwich and Burnley come either side of a triple header against three of the Premier League’s top six, as Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal all prepare to take on the Magpies before the season is out.

But up first is Saturday’s trip to Carrow Road, where both teams have had a stark contrast in their seasons since the two sides played out a 1-1 draw in the north east back in November, when Teemu Pukki’s 79th minute equaliser denied the hosts their first victory of the season.

Following that game, it looked almost certain that the Magpies would go down and already were in some people’s eyes, as that solitary point left them rooted to the bottom of the league. Now, Norwich are the ones at the foot of the table, while Newcastle are in 11th.

And Howe credits that game as a real turning point in the season as it shows how far they have come since then. He said: "At the time it felt like a missed opportunity for us to get our first win. I was disappointed we couldn't hold the lead because the players gave everything. Maybe it was the first sign of things to come in terms of effort and commitment."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.