Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
One app.
Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles. One news app.
Ecuador Indigenous group sues president over protest crackdown
Ecuador’s largest Indigenous organisation has filed a lawsuit against President Lenin Moreno and other officials for alleged crimes against humanity committed during protests last October that left 10 people dead.
The Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE) asked the prosecutor’s office on Monday to investigate “crimes against humanity” because they believe the crackdown was “a systematic and widespread attack on the civilian population,” the group’s lawyer, Carlos Poveda, told AFP news agency.
“We have asked that there be no isolated or circumstantial investigations. We have asked that all the complaints be united that they be dealt with in a context of crimes against humanity,” Poveda said.
The government has yet to comment on the lawsuit.
Protests began in early October when Moreno cut petrol subsidies that had been in place in the country for 40 years. The cuts saw the price of diesel more than double and petrol increase by 30 percent, overnight.
Moreno called a national state of emergency, which put more riot police and army officials on the streets across the country.
style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0; bottom: 0; right: 0; left: 0;">
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member?
Sign in here
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member?
Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member?
Sign in here
Our Picks