EasyJet, Ryanair, Jet2, TUI and British Airways baggage price differences for airlines
Each airline has their own prices for baggage allowance, and it's important to know these costs so that you can plan your packing.
In some cases the extra allowance will only cost you an extra pound, in others the free carry-on is surprisingly pricey, so you may be as well packing light.
Here are the baggage costs for different airlines so that you know where you can save and where you can splash the cash.
EasyJet have some of the best prices for cabin bags, and for a small carry-on you won't have to pay anything at all.
A small carry-on is a 45 x 36 x 20 cm bag according to the airline.
Prices then start at £5.99 for a large cabin bag which has to be 56 x 45 x 25 cm or less.
Then you get to the hold luggage, which costs as follows:
- up to 15kg - prices starting at £5.99
- up to 23kg - prices starting at £9.49 (plus a possible £48 at drop off depending on the route taken)
- Additional weight for pre-booked hold luggage (up to 32kg) - £12 per 3kg
Like EasyJet, Ryanair have no fees for a small carry-on, however their fees page doesn't clearly say what size a small bag would be. Rather than a specific size, the website says a small bag "must fit under the seat in front of you."
According to mybaggage.com, a small bag would be 40 x 25 x 20 cm.
For their luggage their fees are:
- up to 10kg - £23.99 (£35.99 airport booking)
- up to 20kg - £39.99 (£59.99 airport booking)
- every kg after that - £11 per kilo
Jet2 allows cabin baggage up to 10kg, and offers the following pricing for carry-on and checked luggage:
- Cabin Baggage up to 10kg - free unless overweight (must also be 56 x 45 x 25cm)
- Checked Baggage up to 20kg - £8 - £45 depending on route and booking
- every kg after that - £12 per kg
With TUI, you will get a 15kg checked in baggage allowance for package holidays, some even offer an allowance of 20kg.
The same goes for carry-on luggage which can be 55 x 40 x 20 cm and can weigh up to 10kg. Carry-on luggage us also free for flight only bookings.
For checked baggage on flight only bookings, the cost will depend on your route, you are advised to contact TUI or use their flight extras tool.
If your bags are over weight, there are additional fees, which are as follows:
- Short haul flights: £13 per kilo
- Mid haul flights: £15 per kilo
- Long haul flights: £18 per kilo
British Airways also have a calculator tool as their bag prices will vary depending on the route that you take.
They do however have a flat cost of £65 for overweight, which can be no more than 32kg to be allowed onto the flight.
Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.