Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
East Kilbride News

East Kilbride driver back behind wheel just THREE weeks after being banned

An East Kilbride driver was caught behind the wheel three weeks after getting a three-year ban.

Kenneth McMillan claimed to be “doing a good turn” for someone.

It led to a quick return to Hamilton Sheriff Court this week.

McMillan, 47, of Carnoustie Crescent, Greenhills, admitted driving while disqualified and without insurance cover in Lickprivick Road, East Kilbride, on April 15.

He was banned and ordered to get alcohol counselling when he appeared on charges including dangerous driving at the same court on March 27.

McMillan also has previous convictions for drink driving and driving while disqualified.

Referring to the latest offences, lawyer Andy Thomson said: “Why he did this is beyond me and beyond him.

“He says he was trying to do someone a good turn, but it’s clearly a breach of the law and the community payback order imposed at the court in March.

“That order has taken effect, but the road traffic offenders group he has to attend doesn’t even start until August.”

Mr Thomson accepted his client could easily be jailed, but urged Sheriff Thomas Millar to allow him to benefit from the CPO imposed previously.

The sheriff deferred sentence until August to monitor McMillan’s progress on that order.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.