The DVLA has warned that millions of driving licences will become invalid, as drivers over 70 must renew theirs every three years or face fines.
Failure to order a replacement will mean licence holders will no longer be legally allowed to drive after their 70th birthday. Recent figures estimate there to be around 10 million drivers aged 70 and above in the UK.
Those who do not renew their document but continue to drive will be committing a serious offence, as their licence and insurance will not be valid, which can result in fines of up to £1,000 and even a ceased vehicle, the Daily Record reports.
READ MORE: Warning to drivers as wing mirror mistake could be a signal to thieves
However, this does not mean you have to stop driving - all you have to do is to renew it. To do this, you can complete a D46P application form, which the DVLA will send to you 90 days before your 70th birthday, or you can pick one up at your local post office.
The DVLA reminded drivers about the rule on Twitter and wrote: "After you turn 70, you need to renew your licence every three years. It’s easy, quick and secure to do it online." The online process is straight forward and the replacement should arrive in one week.
You can apply to renew your licence online by logging onto the DVLA website here.
First time users will need to register and should have the following:
- an email address
- addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
- your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- a valid UK passport number (if you want to change the licence photo)
You can still drive while your licence is being renewed as long as:
- you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after June 1, 2013
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here
UK travellers will have to pay to enter Europe from end of 2023
Martin Lewis shares weight loss hack and fan drops two stone
Meningitis signs and symptoms as Jeff Beck dies suddenly due to illness
Carol Vorderman says she is currently dating five 'special friends'
Full list of eligible DWP benefits as dates for £900 cost of living payment confirmed