Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Business
Matthew Weaver

DVLA under fire as driving licence changes blamed for car hire queues

A section of a D740, also known as the Counterpart Driving Licence, which is no longer valid from 8 June 2015.
A section of a D740, or counterpart driving licence, which is invalid from 8 June 2015. Photograph: Chris Yates/Demotix/Corbis

Widely predicted technical hitches have continued to dog new car-hiring arrangements the day after the paper part of the driving licence was abolished.

The new scheme means those needing to give details of their driving record in order to hire a vehicle need to access information from the website of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

But the site has frequently crashed since it was launched on Monday to the frustration of British drivers across the world. An error message appeared on the site when the Guardian tried to view driving record information on Tuesday morning.

Many drivers turned to Twitter to express their anger at the DVLA. Kirsty Dillon, from London, reported problems when she tried to hire a car in Canada’ largest city, Toronto.

She was unsure whether a code was needed, and could not get hold of it.

Others expressed similar frustrations.

The AA said some of its members had had problems and they were stumped by the need to supply a national insurance number, it said.

The AA was one of several organisations which had warned that the new scheme would create difficulties. Edmund King, the AA president, said: “There have been problems for some of our members. We have heard that a number have found the DVLA website very slow.

“Another problem is the need to give a national insurance number. People travelling abroad and hiring vehicles could well not have this number to hand. We are pushing for a change on the website, so people are asked for their passport number instead.”

The BBC said one car hire firm in Bristol had reported a queue of 20 people waiting as staff struggled to access their details online, while another operator nearby “had a queue of customers out of the door”.

The new system has also confused car hire companies.

Oliver Morley, the DVLA’s chief executive, has apologised to those who have experienced problems with the new system but said many others had been able to access the site. “We are currently experiencing exceptionally high demand for this service,” he said. “We are aware some customers are experiencing issues with the website and we are working very hard to resolve this as quickly as possible. We are sorry for any inconvenience.”

• This article was amended on 9 June 2015. An earlier version said that Toronto is the capital of Canada, rather than the largest city.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.