Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Injured Dumoulin abandons Giro after start of fifth stage

FILE PHOTO: Cycling - UCI Road Cycling World Championships - Innsbruck-Tirol, Austria - September 30, 2018 Netherlands' Tom Dumoulin in action during the Men's Elite Road Race REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader/File Photo

(Reuters) - Former Giro d'Italia winner Tom Dumoulin abandoned the race shortly after the start of the fifth stage on Wednesday.

The Dutch rider, winner in 2017 and one of the favourites for the three-week race, injured his left knee in a massive pileup about six km from the line in a 235-km ride from Orbetello on Tuesday..

"Tom Dumoulin’s injuries have proved too painful and he is forced to abandon the Giro d’Italia in the early kilometres of stage 5," Team Sunweb said on Twitter.

The team had said earlier that he had been cleared to race by medical staff and would "give it his best shot".

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; editing by Amlan Chakraborty and Ken Ferris)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.