Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
National
Sophie Collins

Dublin kids targeted by teens throwing fireworks in playground

A parent of a young child took to social media on Monday to warn others after her kid was targeted by teens throwing fireworks into a Cabinteely playground.

The mother wrote; “My husband was with our kid in Cabinteely park on one side of the playground, when a teenager set off a firework pointed right at the kids on the other side of the playground.”

The woman said there were no injuries, but she was left “shaking” with fear when she heard that someone would aim a firework at children playing.

A group of parents attempted to catch the culprit, but it’s not known whether they were able to find them.

The mother said “just a reminder to be on the lookout and keep yourself and the kids safe this week.

“Especially in areas where there might be teens hanging around bored and tempted to do something stupid and potentially life-altering.”

There have been many warnings as Halloween approaches over the dangers of the explosives and the “life-changing” injuries they can cause.

Officers also warned the public last week of the fines they face if found to have fireworks on them, or if they’re thought to be selling them.

People have been responding underneath the Facebook post with their own scary experiences coming up to the big night, and one wrote; “Literally just happened to me. Firework set off into a crowded bus stop. Again no one hurt but I was terrified.”

Another said; “We're in the shadow of some hills here in Dublin and the fireworks are being aimed into the housing estate.

“Bouncing off of garage tops and roofs. It scares cats and dogs out of their wits.”

Earlier this week, Gardai issued a separate warning after being made aware of ‘potentially life-threatening fireworks’ on sale in Ireland.

Concerns were raised around fireworks being brought into the country through Europe, Northern Ireland, and England that are so powerful they could cause fatalities.

In one case, a Chinese-made firework that has made its way into Ireland has been described as "a mini-howitzer."

Another, called a 'Black Skorpion', looks like a small missile and launches a ball of flames several hundred feet into the sky.

Police have warned that over the last ten years, members of the public have suffered third-degree burns, have lost fingers and parts of limbs - all from accidents associated with illegal fireworks.

They are now stressing that all illegal fireworks found will be immediately seized amid fears that bystanders could endure life-changing injuries.

Sign up to the Dublin Live Newsletter for all the latest Dublin news.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.