Dublin Fire Brigade warn public of apartment fire safety following New York tragedy
Dublin Fire Brigade have warned the public of fire safety in apartments following the tragedy that occurred in New York yesterday.
At least 19 people were killed in the apartment Bronx block blaze with 63 people reporting injuries.
An electric space heater is being blamed for creating the flames with the incident being called New York City’s worst fire disaster in over 30 years.
A DFB spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with all involved with the devastating fire in New York, particularly to those who lost their lives, their families and friends.
“Investigators are reporting that an open door helped the spread of toxic smoke throughout the building.”
DFB has given the following advice following the tragic accident: “If you discover a fire in a building, close the door on it and raise the alarm. This is the single most effective action you can take to slow the spread of fire and smoke.
“If you live in an apartment block ensure that fire doors are kept closed at all times*. They should not be propped open.
“Damaged or ill-fitting doors should be reported to the building management company and repaired or replaced promptly; they have an obligation to carry out these works.
“Some fire doors may be fitted with a self-closer and will close in the event of a fire alarm. These are usually found in commercial buildings and workspaces. They are not commonly found in apartment buildings.”
To get the latest breaking news straight to your inbox, sign up for our free newsletter.