Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Ian Johnson

Driver jailed for getting behind the wheel 19 days after being disqualified

Just 19 days after having his licence taken off him in court, dangerous driver Dean Bell was back on the road.

Now, after being caught, he's back behind bars.

The 33-year-old has been locked up for 26 weeks after he flouted the law by driving while disqualified.

When caught, he tried claiming he was only testing the car for faulty brakes.

Brazen Bell had been banned from the roads and was handed a community order by a judge in January.

Watch banned driver race down the wrong side of the A19 - before "brave" cops force him from the road  
It followed an incident in Whitley Bay where he had mounted a pavement during a fireworks display on November 5.
 

During the hearing, a court was also told how Bell had previously been jailed for dangerous driving in 2015.

A court heard how he was arrested by police on January 30 after they saw him driving his partner's Vauxhall Insignia in Wallsend.

He had a young child as a passenger so police did not engage the vehicle in a pursuit and instead arrested him later that day.

At court Bell, of The Crescent, Barlow, Gateshead, claimed that he was just testing the brakes because he had suspicions they were faulty.
 

Dean Bell, 33, has been jailed for driving while disqualified (Evening Chronicle)

But he still admitted a string of driving offences and was sentenced to 26 weeks behind bars.

Sergeant Glen Robson, of Northumbria Police's Operation Dragoon team, welcomed the judge's decision to send Bell to prison.

He said: "Dean Bell is an arrogant man who has no regard for other road users and has demonstrated a repeated disregard for the law.


Lorry driver charged with causing death of Peterlee man by dangerous driving after fatal collision near Washington  


"He has been warned about the manner of his driving on numerous occasions by the court but he has ignored that advice.

"When he was last in court he tried to change his plea and came up with a story about his solicitor coercing him into admitting the offences.

"On this occasion he tried to give a story that he was testing faulty brakes but our officers observed him for a duration of time and it simply wasn't the case.

"This is a man who has previously spent time in prison for dangerous driving and he deserves the prison sentence handed to him last week.

"I am glad he has been put back behind bars and hopes this sends a strong message to those who flout the rules of the road."

Bell was convicted of dangerous driving on January 11 where he was handed an 18 month driving ban and a 12-month community order at North Tyneside Magistrates' Court.

After his arrest on January 30 he was charged with driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance.

He pleaded guilty and was jailed at Bedlington Magistrates Court on April 5.

Driver injured after taxi crashes into bus stop outside Newcastle Central Station

Fish salesman jailed for selling bags of smelly seafood to elderly at exorbitant prices  

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.