Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Max Clements

Driver caught holding phone claims he was 'on hands free'

A driver who was caught by police "scrolling and typing, phone in hand" told police he was on a hands free call after he was pulled over for using his phone while driving.

The van driver, was pulled over by Cheshire Police's Roads Unit sometime before 5:40pm on Saturday afternoon after officers spotted him holding his phone while driving.

Officers said that it transpired that the driver had been the one making a call from his phone.

It later emerged that the driver did not have a valid MOT and he was reported for a further traffic offence by officers.

The incident was described by North West Motorway Police via Twitter as they described the driver's "excuses".

The driver was reportedly spotted holding his phone while driving alongside a marked police car before he was later stopped by officers.

In a series of tweets from the side of the road, North West Motorway Police said: "Driver seen alongside in a Marked Traffic car with phone in hand typing/scrolling on the screen.

"Stated he was on a hands free call with the phone in hand! Not much argument there and he was found to be the one making the call.

"Also found that the MOT expired in February. Driver stated he thought he had a six month extension. Pointed out that this was only for vehicles due an MOT after 31 March, and even if he was right it had been six months since his MOT had expired now anyway!

"TOR for both offences (Traffic offence report)."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.