Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National

Drink driving charge after Charlestown crash

A man has been charged with drink driving after a collision at Charlestown on the seventh day of the police state-wide Christmas and New Year's road blitz.

About 9pm Wednesday, police allege a Ford Ranger collided heavily with two parked vehicles on Kahibah Road.

Several members of the public saw the collision and followed the Ranger where the front passengers side wheel fell off.

The car continued driving into nearby Camrose Street, before stopping on a median strip, according to police.

The witnesses detained the 38-year-old male driver and contacted police.

Police said the man was breath tested and returned a positive reading.

He was arrested and taken to Belmont Police Station where he underwent a further breath analysis resulting in an alleged reading of 0.240.

The man was issued a court attendance notice to appear at Belmont Local Court on Wednesday, February 3, 2021.

The man also had his licence suspended.

The incident comes as police remind drivers to start the near year thinking of their family and friends while on the road.

"The worst job that any police officer can do is to tell someone that a loved one has lost their life in a car crash," Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Karen Webb said. "What makes this harder is that this is totally preventable.

"Simply, abiding by the road rules and being alert will prevent a tragedy.

"One of the major factors in many fatal collisions is speed and it's concerning to see several drivers detected at dangerously high speeds in the past 24 hours.

"I cannot believe the stupidity of some people who think they can travel at these speeds and get away with it."

The state-wide road safety operation started on Christmas Eve and wraps up on Sunday.

Double-demerits are in force throughout the period for speeding, seatbelt, mobile phone and motorcycle helmet offences.

So far, 5,964 speeding fines and 5,182 infringement notices have been issued for other driving offences.

For faster access to the latest Newcastle news download our NEWCASTLE HERALD APP and sign up for breaking news, sport and what's on sent directly to your email.

IN THE NEWS

Robert Dillon: Is Mitchell Pearce's captaincy now untenable?

Lake Mac pursuit called off after driver crosses onto wrong side of road

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.