Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Birmingham Post
Birmingham Post
Business
David Laister

Drax advances bioenergy with carbon capture plan as strategies align

Drax is to formally launch its huge plans to produce bioenergy with carbon capture and storage following the Net Zero Strategy release and elevation of the East Coast Cluster network.

Negative emissions technology was this week flagged as vital by the government, as the huge CO2 grid it anchors was given track one status with access to a £1 billion fund.

The major planning consultation will now begin on the proposals that will clean up the power giant’s processes, as a second huge part of a transformation that has seen coal removed and replaced with biomass.

Read more: Carbon capture sequencing success lapped up across the North

It will launch on November 1, with a fly-through of the proposal released today, ahead of virtual and in-person events.

Large sections of plant will be removed within the North Yorshire site's footprint., with new infrastructure deployed in its place.

The company said the BECCS technology will permanently remove eight million tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere each year, while accelerating economic growth for the Yorkshire and Humber region, putting it at the heart of a global green economy.

The proposed scheme will also create and support more than 10,000 jobs in the Humber and across the UK. It has previously outlined how hundreds of millions of pounds worth of contracts will be opened up in the build-out phase.

Will Gardiner, Drax Group chief executive, said: “Negative emissions technologies like BECCS will play a vital role in tackling the climate crisis and the start of this consultation marks a significant milestone in our plans to deliver this innovative technology at our power station in Yorkshire.

“The Government’s recently stated ambition for BECCS and backing for the East Coast Cluster further demonstrates the vital role Drax can play in helping the UK reach its ambitious net zero targets, as well as creating and protecting thousands of jobs in this country.”

Classed as a nationally significant infrastructure project, Drax is required to apply for a development consent order prior to the installation and operation of the technology.

It will ultimately be decided by the Secretary of State.

Through the consultation process communities are invited to share their views on Drax’s proposals. The consultation will run between November 1 to December 12, and once complete, the findings will be used to finalise Drax’s planning application prior to its submission in 2022.

The company said the timeline keeps the company on-track to begin construction of BECCS in 2024, becoming operational as soon as 2027.

A global supply chain supports the operations, with a huge terminal at Port of Immingham and others in Hull, Liverpool and Tyne. Earlier this year plans for gas-firing were dropped to focus on renewables.

Do you follow BusinessLive Humber on LinkedIn and Twitter? Click and engage to ensure you stay updated

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.