The Chief Medical Officer of the Department of Health has issued a stark update on the “very concerning” rise in Covid-19 cases as numbers continue to increase across the country.
The number of cases is nearly tipping 4,000 with a total of 3,903 confirmed cases of Covid-19 today alone. Hospital numbers have also risen to over 450.
Dr Tony Holohan said the number “is a very concerning figure and a stark reminder that this virus is highly contagious.”
This week the Taoiseach also expressed his concern over the huge rise in cases.
Speaking this week on RTE's Morning Ireland Mr Martin said "There are no guarantees in relation to Covid-19,” and added that NPHET is predicting a peak in numbers towards the end of November.
While incidences of the virus across Ireland have remained relatively low in comparison to other Western European countries, the entire continent is beginning to see a rise in numbers.

Dr Holohan said: “This is not a situation any of us want to be in, but our reality remains that we are still in the midst of a global pandemic,”
He has also warned against the false idea that those who are vaccinated are protected and unable to catch or spread the illness.
"While COVID-19 vaccines give good protection from serious illness and hospitalisation, we know that fully vaccinated people can still get and transmit the COVID-19 virus,” he said.
This winter, the majority of adults are fully vaccinated. Dr Holohan said this is the “key difference” that will keep people out of hospital.
“If you are vaccinated, you are more likely than before to experience a mild form of the disease,” he said.
"The best way we can protect ourselves and our vulnerable loved ones is, firstly, to ensure we receive a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it is available to us, this includes booster doses.”
He also emphasised the continuation of hand washing, covering coughs, social distancing and wearing masks.

On Tuesday, Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly proposed extending emergency legislation that allows the use of measures such as face coverings and Covid passes for another three months until February 9.
Mr Donnelly said: "We're in a place where we have to be concerned about the burden and impact that this level of disease is having and could have on social care services in the coming weeks and months.
"We're already seeing the cancellation of procedures and operations across the country. And we have to be concerned that things will deteriorate further," said Mr Donnelly.
Dr Holohan also urged people to choose “outdoor or well-ventilated indoor activities where possible and maintaining a social distance. When planning social occasions, please keep the public health advice in mind and feel empowered to leave if you do not feel safe.”
He added: “While it is wonderful to see the continued reopening of our society, it is important that we continue to be conscious of the vulnerable people in our lives.”
Meanwhile, Tanaiste Leo Varadkar has said that the government is unlikely to reinforce another full lockdown despite the huge case numbers.
He said: "We do have high case levels, but the vaccine wall is holding.
"The number of people in hospital is high, and the number of people in ICU is high, but it's more or less where we would have expected it to be at this stage given the protections, so it's a case of hold firm and stick with the plan."

Taoiseach Micheal Martin also said this week that the Government has “learned from Covid-19".
“We have to take it very seriously, the vaccines work, we are in a very different place from where we were last year."
Fill in our facemask survey below, or click here.