Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
World
Sophie McCoid

Downing Street issue update on primary schoolchildren wearing masks

Downing Street have spoken out on the issue of primary school pupils wearing masks after a council said they were encouraging pupils to wear them when they return to school.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said officials had been in contact with Redbridge Council in East London after it told primary schools under its control that pupils should be advised to wear masks.

The council's Labour leader Jas Athwal said "in some cases" the authority had gone beyond the official advice.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "Children in primary schools should not be asked to wear face coverings when they return to school on March 8.

" Face coverings are only necessary for pupils in year seven and above."

A Department for Education (DfE) spokesman said: "Our guidance is clear: face coverings are only necessary for pupils in year seven and above and we are in contact with the council on the matter."

Councillor Athwal told the Daily Telegraph: "We have provided comprehensive advice to our schools.

"In some cases, where we have gone beyond the DfE advice, we have used the advice from Independent Sage."

He added: "We have advised primary schools to encourage the use of face coverings indoors, as per the Independent Sage advice that pupils at both primary and secondary should be encouraged to wear a face covering indoors as one of a range of health and safety measures."

Independent Sage is a group of scientists which has no official standing but has frequently taken a tougher stance on coronavirus control measures than the Government.

Find your nearest vaccination centre by entering your postcode below

Robert Halfon, the Tory chairman of the Commons Education Select Committee, has warned that ministers risk creating "mask anarchy" unless regulations on face coverings in schools are made clearer.

He has called for "definitive regulations" to be put in place on whether students should wear face coverings.

The Prime Minister's spokesman said: "We have set out why we are asking secondary school children to wear them, specifically that it is an extra piece of mitigation to try and help us ensure that we keep the transmission rate of the virus low."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.