Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bristol Post
Bristol Post
National
Sophie Grubb

Downend fireworks upset as expensive kit stolen during display

Fundraisers for one of Bristol's biggest firework displays have spoken of their sadness after expensive kit was stolen during the event.

After almost 12,000 people had gathered in Downend to see bursts of colour above King V Playing Fields, thieves reportedly stole a large generator that had been used during the night to power lighting.

Friday (November 5) marked the event's milestone 50th anniversary and it sold out ahead of the night, with organisers describing demand for tickets as "unprecedented".

READ MORE: 'Worst night ever' as crowds leave 'tons of rubbish' on green

But Downend Round Table, which runs the display annually, said the cost of replacing the hired equipment will "make a big dent in what [attendees] helped us to raise".

The group is a registered charity and all proceeds from the display are donated to good causes in the community.

Organisers say the generator was taken from the Westerleigh Road entrance to the playing fields, at some point after the end of the display. They have shared an appeal on social media asking for information or any CCTV that might help with the investigation.

The organisation posted the appeal on its Facebook page and saw hundreds of responses from people in the community, who labelled the theft "disgusting" and "terrible".

'Beggars belief'

One supporter commented on the post: "This is so sad to hear. I hope that someone knows who did this and does the right thing to return it or bring those to justice who took it. It beggars belief what goes through these peoples minds."

Another added: "Unbelievable what some people will do - effectively stealing from a charity - I hope they get caught."

A JustGiving page has been set up by one supporter in hope of raising money towards the cost of replacing the generator.

Paul Wells, fireworks chairman at Downend Round Table, said organisers are "very grateful" for the community's support.

He told BristolLive: "It's very disappointing, we were all a bit taken by surprise.

"It's quite a hefty thing, it couldn't have just been taken by someone on a jolly. It would have to have been loaded onto something and needed a couple of people - quite the operation."

The hired-out generator was being used on the night to help power strings of lighting at the playing fields, and he estimates it will cost in the region of £4,000 to replace.

He said they initially hoped it had just been misplaced and might turn up over the weekend, as was the case with a missing fire extinguisher that was later found in a bush, but no one has seen it.

Calculations for how much was raised at the event have not yet been finalised, but Paul believes the cost of replacing the generator will be something in the region of 10 per cent of the overall takings.

He asked anyone who saw or heard anything suspicious to make contact through Facebook or via police.

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesperson said: "We’ve had a report that a diesel generator was stolen during a fireworks event in Westerleigh Road, Downend, some time between 9pm and 10.30pm on Friday.

"If anyone has information about this incident, or saw anything suspicious, please call us on 101 and give the call handler the reference number 5221262518."

Want our best stories with fewer ads and alerts when the biggest news stories drop? Download our app on iPhone or Android

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.