Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
Sport
Leigh Curtis

'Don't think it's enough' - Reading boss makes Nottingham Forest claim

Reading boss Veljko Paunovic does not believe Nottingham Forest's eight-point gap above the Championship's relegation zone "is enough" and expects Chris Hughton's side to put up a huge fight on Saturday.

The two clubs go head to head at the City Ground where the Reds are hoping to bounce back from their narrow defeat at the hands of Watford last weekend.

Despite losing to the Hornets, Forest are eight points clear of the bottom three with 11 games to go amid what is a tough run of fixtures that will see them play Norwich and Brentford.

First up is Reading this weekend as the Reds look to make amends for their 2-0 defeat earlier in the season and while Royals boss Paunovic says Hughton's side have improved, he also feels the same about his own side.

"It's going to be a tough game on Saturday. I don't think eight points is enough (above relegation) at this stage, when everyone is fighting for their lives," he said as reported by BerkshireLive.

"I don't think it's enough - not for us or our opponents. Everyone understands that and it's going to be a tough game.

"They (Forest) are a good team, they have improved but I think we are a better team too compared to the first game.

"We will be looking to give our best and we have our goals."

Alfa Semedo will be part of the Royals' squad as he prepares for a return to the City Ground where he spent last season on loan at the Reds.

Paunovic says he has been pleased with the performances of the 23-year-old who is currently on loan from Benfica.

"I'm very happy with him, there is room for improvement in his game but I am happy with how much he has improved and committed to the team," he said.

"He has played in different roles - not always his best role - but when the team needs you you need to be ready to step in and I value that a lot."

Forest could be boosted by the return of Scott McKenna and Harry Arter for their clash with the pair back in training after a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Reds manager Hughton admits he has some difficult calls to make, however, with midfielder Fouad Bachirou now the only player on the treatment table.

Defender McKenna (ankle) has been out of action since the defeat to Middlesbrough seven weeks ago, while midfielder Arter (calf) has not featured since the start of January and the FA Cup victory over Cardiff City.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.