Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Politics
Aletha Adu

Labour demands Boris Johnson sack Dominic Raab if he doesn't quit over Afghanistan

Dominic Raab today came under mounting pressure to quit after failing to make a phone call from his luxury Crete hotel to help desperate Afghans flee for their lives.

The Foreign Secretary was staying at a five-star hotel when officials suggested he “urgently” call Afghan Foreign Minister Hanif Atmar to discuss the fate of interpreters who had helped British forces.

The request came last Friday, two days before the Taliban marched on capital Kabul, sparking a scramble to leave.

Mr Raab was reportedly unavailable so Lord Goldsmith was left to step in.

But the Afghans are said to have refused to rearrange the call with a junior minister.

Should Raab go? Have your say in the comment section

The UK Government released these pictures of Dominic Raab supposedly phoning G7 allies about the Afghanistan debacle as he today dismissed demands to quit (UK Government/Flickr)

The Foreign Office said Mr Raab had been “engaged on a range of calls”.

And asked today if he was going to resign from the Cabinet he said: “No.”

It came after Tory former veterans minister Johnny Mercer compared his party to a “sh** company” where “everyone running it hasn’t got a clue”.

Raab posed at work amid the fury (UK Government/Flickr)

Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the SNP are demanding that Mr Raab resign, or that Boris Johnson sack him.

Labour leader Keir Starmer said: “Who wouldn’t make a phone call if they were told it could save somebody’s life?”

Layla Moran, Lib Dem Foreign Affairs spokeswoman, said: “All the Foreign Secretary had to do was leave the beach and pick up the phone. He did not. He must go.”

SNP Westminster Leader Ian Blackford MP said he “must resign, or be sacked”.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace, who has been critical of the Foreign Office’s role in the crisis told Radio 4 a phone call “to an Afghan minister at that moment in time would have not made a difference”.

But Shadow Foreign Secretary Lisa Nandy said: “How can Boris Johnson allow the Foreign Secretary to continue in his role after another catastrophic failure of judgment?

Heartbreaking scenes as a baby is handed over to the military on the Kabul Airport gates as desperate escape attempts are made (Twitter)
US soldiers help a woman trying to climb the wall into Kabul Airport (Rise to Peace via REUTERS)

"If Dominic Raab doesn’t have the decency to resign, the Prime Minister must show a shred of leadership and sack him.”

Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner said: “He couldn’t even make one call? Why is he still in the job?”

Amid continuing chaos on the ground Mr Mercer called the UK’s withdrawal from Afghanistan a “total betrayal” and said it was a “copout” to blame US President Joe Biden.

Afghans on the tarmac at airport (via REUTERS)
A soldier grips a tot as parents try to get their child out of the country (Sky News)

Mr Mercer, who served three tours in Afghanistan, resigned as a defence minister earlier this year over the Government’s treatment of soldiers who served in Northern Ireland.

He told the Evening Standard: “The way ministers have carried on over the last week, without any real direction or leadership or responsibility, it just makes it ten times worse. Constantly blaming the Americans devalues our service even further.”

An Afghan child sleeps on the cargo floor of a US Air Force C-17 Globemaster III, kept warm by the uniform of the C-17 loadmaster, during an evacuation flight from Kabul (US AIR FORCE/AFP via Getty Image)

Get all the latest politics news straight to your inbox. Sign up to one of the Mirror's newsletters

On Wednesday, Mr Johnson said the UK had secured the “safe return” of 306 UK nationals and 2,052 Afghan nationals as part of its resettlement programme – with a further 2,000 Afghan applications completed and more in process.

But amid claims some planes are leaving Afghanistan almost empty, Mr Wallace said the UK was using “every space possible” on its evacuation flights amid a “very difficult situation on the ground”.

He added UK troops would stay in Afghanistan “as long as United States forces are running the airport”.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.