Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Safid Deen

Dolphins starting running back Mark Walton suspended four games by NFL

Miami Dolphins starting running back Mark Walton has been suspended for four games for violating the NFL's conduct and substance abuse policies, the league announced on Monday.

Walton's suspension stems from his three separate arrests that occurred earlier this year before he signed with the Dolphins in May, according to a league source.

Walton, who leads Miami with 53 carries and 201 yards rushing, will be eligible to return in Week 14 when the Dolphins visit the New York Jets on Dec. 8. He will be allowed to attend meetings but cannot practice during his suspension.

"We have been in communication with the NFL regarding Mark's suspension," Dolphins coach Brian Flores said in a statement.

"The conduct of our players is very important and Mark has done everything we have asked of him both on and off the field since signing with the Dolphins. We look forward to having him back at the conclusion of his suspension."

The Dolphins were aware of the likelihood Walton would face a suspension for several weeks, according to a league source, even before the team traded away former running back Kenyan Drake to the Arizona Cardinals last week.

Walton received six months probation for the arrests with the possibility his sentence could be reduced to three months in a negotiated resolution arranged on Aug. 19.

Walton was facing a felony charge for carrying a concealed weapon he owned, and misdemeanor charges for marijuana possession, reckless driving, and resisting a police officer without violence following a March 12 incident in Miami. He was able to get these charges reduced in court.

Walton was also charged with misdemeanor battery for a fight that involved him taking a phone from a neighbor at his Brickell condo in February, and faced a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge for a January arrest. Both of those charges were dismissed.

"I want to apologize to the Miami Dolphins, the fans, my friends and family and I take full responsibility for my action," Walton said in a statement posted on his Instagram account Monday night. "I want to thank the Dolphins for giving me this opportunity and will make the most of this chance as a person and player when I return."

With Walton's suspension affecting Miami's roster, second-year running back Kalen Ballage is now elevated to the starting running back role, while rookies Myles Gaskin and Patrick Laird will get their chances to play for the first time this season as Ballage's backups.

The Dolphins (1-7), who won their first game of the season on Sunday against the New York Jets, will face the Indianapolis Colts (5-3) this Sunday in Week 10.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.